6.28.2006

"Listen, I don't mean to be ignorant, but..."

Or so said a lady tonight at the Ben Folds concert when she was trying to quiet down a group of people next to her. It made no sense and we were perplexed and eruditely amused. We being me, Emma (!!) and Emma's friend Ryan. We saw Ben Folds at the Merriweather Post Pavilion with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. As usual, he was amazing and played brilliantly. Some of the songs went REALLY well with the orchestra and he said he is putting out an orchestra album in the Fall.

Emma is in DC now working at a foundation for pulmonary hypertension (or PH as those in the biz call it I found out tonight). I can only go that far to explain it because 1) I don't remember the name of the company and 2) I don't want to screw it all up. So surely Emma will fill me in on the correct details. Her office is in Silver Spring so I picked her up on the way up to Merriweather Post. In a fun spark of destiny, I parked in front of the campaign office for Ida G. Ruben, a wonderfully cute elderly woman running for reelection. The windows were filled with signs about reelecting her, including 2 very large window sized posters that said "Reelect Ida." I think Emma can walk to campaign headquarters from her office and I'm sure the campaign needs an extra volunteer, right Emma? Someone's gotta get me a sign!

Friday is my practical exam for the daily living part of the Montessori training. I am so wiped out from this week and my back is killing me. I think the back has to do with sitting in the car for 2 hours a day. As for the tiredness, everyone at the training is on par with that one. It is so much concentration and focus for a very long day. But the people I am meeting are wonderful and the work is so beautiful that it's hard to complain. We don't have trouble feeling bad for ourselves and our aches and pains, however.

My favorite work in the Sunshine Room with Donna was leaf washing. We learned how to give a lesson in the Primary class on that work today. The children choose a plant that has dusty leaves and carefully sponge the dust off the leaf. Every work has many purposes beyond the obvious one, in this case, washing leaves. Other purposes in that work are learning order and sequencing, gentleness, patience, etc. The instructor also used the phrase "companionship with nature." So I am now more in love with the work and will never have a classroom without it.

Today's fun break was Ben Folds. Next week it's DMB with Evan! So I'm not committing 24 hours to the Montessori boot camp...but close to it!

Oh! Emma gave me a present today in honor of my training program. Two wonderful books about teaching, one called Ms. Moffett's First Year by Abby Goodnough and the other Educating the "Right" Way by Michael W. Apple. Both are about education in America, flaws and strengths. So perfectly relevant and thoughtful. See why she's part of the posse? I am ready to make my life about education and children and already see the books piling up.

I will change the world here, guys, you betcha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home