5.02.2009

Upon a Slender Stalk

A wonderful, elderly volunteer came to class last week to share with the children a "science experiment" with Lily of the Valley.

It took about 10 minutes and she gave a little presentation, asking the children to help: first smelling the flowers, then asking to give me some to put in water, then placing some in a jar of liquid blue ink (where she found the blue ink, I don't know!). The children were captivated and a few even correctly guessed what would happen.



Before she was leaving, I asked her to tell the children the name of the flowers. And then she said "When I was in Girl Scouts, I learned a song..."

Wait!!...And we sang:
White coral bells upon a slender stalk
Lily of the Valley deck my garden walk
Oh how I wish that you could hear them ring
That will happen only when the fairies sing
She was thrilled and asked if we knew it as a round. (I tried to teach them once but it was a disaster. E, one of the third year children, thinks she can lead one half of the class and me the other and that it will happen. Sweet children.)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home