2.07.2008

Strawberry Fields Forever


Look how cute this boy is.

He stars in the movie Across the Universe. His name is Jim Sturgess.

Listen: I loved this movie. And really I shouldn't have. I definitely can't promise you will. Basically the story was choppy and kinda forced. The script was inspired by The Beatles and that seemed obvious. It was clearly written to make the songs fit and the flow was slightly off. Not like Moulin Rouge, or (from what I hear) the Broadway musical Mamma Mia which uses Abba songs.

But I loved it. I loved the freakin' movie.

It was probably The Beatles music, I know. And maybe the anticipation (or my vast knowledge of the catalog [cue: pshaw]) is what made it seem so obvious and not a cohesive story for me. But The Beatles: I love them. I navigated my way to Abbey Road one morning when I went to London with KB and the Doodleboppers and cried when I saw the street and notes to the guys. I am a Beatles junkie--always have been, always will be.

First of all, the characters in this movie: JUDE, Lucy, Sadie, Prudence, Daniel, Mr. Kite, Jojo, Desmond, Martha, Julia----ahhh it goes on and on. Obvious references (Dear Prudence) and less so ("But Daniel was hot...") I can link all those songs on Wikipedia but I trust your googling skills...or Beatles skills ;)...

The whole thing was St. Theresa in Ecstasy for me. All the name references and beautiful renditions of my favorite songs--blended into real life like it's totally normal (I want that life, clearly.)--, cameos by Bono and Eddie Izzard, a clever chopping up and painting of apples and one very cute lead from Liverpool (who also sings with the amazing accent), made me not want this movie to end. I literally couldn't wait to hear what song was next. It was like Wicked revealing the witch's costume. I was on the edge of my seat.

So, yes, rent it. Just for pure joy. I beg you.



Update: I just watched a clip on Best Week Ever about the movie. The guy called it "stunning" because of the director (I guess?) and kind of made fun of the musical concept (singing in the middle of a football field). The description of the video says "a colorful cast of characters and guest stars singing a bunch of Beatles songs really literally in 'Across The Universe.'" Still, forme, oh so satisfying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home