9.06.2006

The Summer's Beginning to Give Up Her Fight...

Today was rainy and felt like Fall once the rain subsided. If my cats didn't push the screens out of the windows and escape, I would have aired out the whole place! (I've gotta figure out what to do about that. Suggestions?)

I love the Fall and it really makes me feel energized. I think we are so socialized into a school schedule as the summer is ending that feelings of Fall just make us excited. (Or, wait, is that just those of us who were always excited for school to start? I have to watch the inadvertent geek-alerts.)

Speaking of geek alerts, David and I were watching Family Guy the other day and there was a scene where little Ewok men steal the hubcaps from a car. It is completely random and we were laughing pretty hard. David said, "Is that those little Star Wars--" I interrupted, "Yes, haha, Ewoks!" To which David said, continuing to laugh raucously, "No, no they aren't Ewoks because they have hoods on. They are those little Difislhvbui guys from Planet Fisuibndjs." -- Awkward laugh from me as David slowly stepped out of the room (realizing he had revealed his Sci-Fi self) and adjusted his pocket protector. FANTASTIC.

But, back to Fall. This is the time of year that wineries are booming. The harvest in this region happens in these 2 weeks. Some wineries had their festivals last weekend, First Colony is having their's on Saturday. Seriously, though, it is the most wonderful time at the winery, watching the little French winemaker flit around checking grapes, testing juice, tasting the current vintages, etc. etc. I feel so lucky to have started now because I get to see so much of the process. The harvest and pressing and tanking of this current crop AND the bottling and boxing of the vintages aging now. I had little interest in wine before this. I mean, I enjoyed it with dinner, but did not understand how it all worked. In just 2 weeks, I have really learned the ins and outs of a winery and learned how to taste wine completely differently. It's awfully fun.

Come on down for a tasting. Call me first to make sure I am there AND make it a day because there are lots of wineries around to try.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh hell--let's just throw it out there: they're jawas. from tatooine. look it up on wikipedia for a picture.


now, has anyone seen my stapler?

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ida! You're back :) Which is good, because I was missing you....

Donna

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home