9.21.2006

A vintner's life for me

I spent today hand labeling bottles of Chardonnay Reserve and checking them for residue. The bottling machine came in on Monday and was very broken. Not only have we been unable to bottle, but I was the lucky First Colony employee to hand label the bottles that had gotten filled. In the process, I discovered that 11 cases of wine had little specks of residue floating in the bottles. This is not good for white wine, mind you! Nothing to change the taste, but aesthetically, no good. It was actually fun and the Kluge winemaker stopped by while I was checking the bottles and asked me if I was the new winemaker....sweet.

As for the tasting room shenanigans, there haven't been much. There was one drunk man at our festival a few weeks ago. He was entertaining and did not put up a fight when we refused to serve him.

Monday, however, a man came in to find out what happens during a tasting. He wanted to bring his wife to wineries in the area and thought we could help him learn the drill. So I was chatting with him a bit and found out that he was a pilot and had been in the Navy. The conversation went on about simulators (I knew a lot about that...wink...) and wine (which I pretended to know a lot about...). Then the man asked about the deer nets on our vines. I told him that deer love grapes so we have to keep them away. He said he was an avid hunter and asked me who hunts our deer. Before I could answer he said, "You know, I was in the Navy...saw a lot of combat- I guess I just have to keep killing something." my mind: (Errrr, did I just hear that?!? Ahhhhh) what I said: "he he he . "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home